TORS Eliminator Kit - 01-0874/01-0023/01-0013Buy Now
TORS Eliminator Kit, 01-0390Jul 5, 2012
NOTE: When this kit is used with stock carburetors it will be necessary to install an idle kit (Part# 08-0045)
THIS KIT IS TO BE INSTALLED BY A TRAINED TECHNICIAN IN A PROPERLY EQUIPPED SHOP.
1. Remove the seat and fuel tank. Carefully observe how the stock throttle cable is routed from the thumb throttle to the carburetor. This is how you will want to route the new cable.
2. Temporarily remove any clamps or guides used to retain the throttle cable. Remove the thumb throttle cover. Disconnect the top portion of the throttle cable from the thumb throttle.
3. Before removing the carburetor top/switch assembly, clean the outside of the carburetor and switch assembly thoroughly. On the outside of the carburetor you will find a gold colored carburetor top locking plate. Remove this plate and unscrew the carburetor top. Remove the carburetor top/switch assembly. Do not allow any dirt or foreign material to enter the opening left in the carburetor. Placing a clean rag in the opening of the carburetor will help avoid this problem. ANY DIRT OR FOREIGN MATERIAL THAT ENTERS THE CARBURETOR CAN CAUSE THE THROTTLE SLIDE TO STICK.
4. Pull the spring away from the slide and remove the retaining plate. Remove the slide and spring from the carburetor top/switch assembly. Install the adjuster, carburetor cap, spring and slide onto the new cable. Make sure the needle is in the correct position and reinstall the retaining plate. NOTE: When you remove the carburetor top/switch assembly, you also remove the idle adjustment. To have an idle adjustment, Motion Pro kit # 08-0045 must be installed. This kit is available separately.
5. Remove the rag in the carburetor opening. Again, be careful that dirt or foreign material does not enter the carburetor. Install the throttle slide into the carburetor. Make sure the guide pin slides into the groove on the slide (slide cutaway to rear). Tighten the carburetor cap. Pull on the top cable end to make sure the full travel (up and down) of the slide is smooth, without binding.
6. Next, install the throttle cable into the thumb throttle housing. Connect the cable end to the thumb throttle lever. Reinstall thumb throttle cover and tighten screws.
7. Throttle cable adjustment: ALL THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Adjust the throttle cable so there is a slight amount of free play (1/16 to 1/8 inch). Tighten all adjuster nuts. Reinstall all cable clamps and guides. Check that the throttle will snap back from the full open position in all handlebar steering positions. Also, check that the cable has free play when the handlebars are turned side to side. Note: Cable routing and throttle position affect the smoothness of throttle operation. Route the cable to avoid sharp bends or kinks. Position the throttle so that it does not create sharp bends or kinks in the cable.
8. Electrical Connections: This machine is equipped with a THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM. The purpose of this system is to turn off the ignition if the carburetor slide sticks open in the throttle body. When the stock carburetor top/switch assembly are removed, this system is disabled. When working on 1988-2002 models, the ignition system will also be disabled. The control box, located inside the front left fender, must be removed for the ignition system to work. When working on 2002 and later models it is not necessary to remove the control box, just unplug the lower electrical connector from the stock thumb throttle and loop together the two pin connecter where the stock thumb throttle attaches on the main wire harness or where the thumb throttle plugs into the CDI box. Either way, you are connecting the plug back in where it was disconnected from (One way to loop the connections is to use the last three inches of the thumb throttle lower connection attach the two wires together and plug back into the main harness). Cover all exposed wires and connector's with electrical tape. Or, use Motion Pro Switch Elimination Coupler Assembly part number 11-0040 and snap coupler directly into existing 2 pin connector where the thumb throttle was plugged into the main harness. THE THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM IS NOW DISABLED.
9. Install the fuel tank and seat. Start the engine to check throttle operation. Using thumb throttle, raise engine speed momentarily to 4000 RPM and release throttle. Engine speed should drop quickly to idle speed without hesitation. Next, while turning the handlebars side to side, there should be no change in engine speed. Repeat step 7 if throttle is not operating as described above.
Throttle Kit Instructions, Instructions All Article Tags