CR Pro Throttle Kit 01-0053/01-1154/GripsBuy Now
CR Pro Throttle Kit, 01-2662 (Yamaha YFM90R Raptor)Jul 5, 2012
IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE INSTALLING
THIS KIT IS TO BE INSTALLED BY A TRAINED TECHNICIAN IN A PROPERLY EQUIPPED SHOP
FOR THROTTLE KIT P/N 01-2662 (Yamaha YFM90R Raptor)
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR USE WITH THE THROTTLE KIT LISTED ABOVE. THIS KIT IS DESIGNED
TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL THUMB THROTTLE WITH A TWIST GRIP TYPE THROTTLE .
1. Remove the seat and fuel tank. Carefully observe how the stock throttle cable is routed from the thumb throttle
to the carburetor. This is how you will want to route the new cable.
2. Temporarily remove any clamps or guides used to retain the throttle cable. Remove the throttle case cap and
disconnect the stock throttle cable. Note: The front brake lever assembly also houses the stock thumb throttle
lever assembly. The front brake lever assembly will be retained, but the thumb throttle components will be
removed. Remove the throttle cable lever bolt, throttle cable lever, spring and washer. Slide the throttle lever out
the bottom of the front brake lever assembly. Replace the throttle case cap, gasket and tighten screws.
3. Before removing the carburetor cap, thoroughly clean the outside of the carburetor. Unscrew the cap and
remove the slide by carefully pulling on the throttle cable. Do not allow any dirt or foreign material to enter the
opening left in carburetor. Placing a clean rag in the opening of the carburetor will help avoid this problem. ANY
DIRT OR FOREIGN MATERIAL THAT ENTERS THE CARBURETOR CAN CAUSE THE THROTTLE SLIDE TO STICK.
4. Pull the spring away from the slide and remove the retaining plate. Remove the slide, spring and cap from the
old cable. Install the cap, spring and slide onto the new cable. Make sure the needle is in the correct position and
reinstall the retaining plate.
5. Remove the rag in the carburetor opening. Again, be careful that dirt or foreign material does not enter the
carburetor. Install the throttle slide into the carburetor. Make sure the guide pin slides into the groove on the slide
(slide cutaway to rear). Tighten the carburetor cap. Pull on the top cable end to make sure the full travel (up and
down) of the slide is smooth, without binding.
6. Remove the right hand grip from the handlebar. Disassemble the new throttle assembly. Using the throttle
sleeve as a guide, mark the handlebar where the throttle sleeve will fit. With fine sandpaper remove any paint on
the handlebar where the throttle sleeve will fit. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE HANDLEBAR BE CLEAN AND SMOOTH.
IF THE HANDLEBAR IS NOT CLEAN AND SMOOTH IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE THROTTLE TO STICK.
7. Remove the plastic cable guide from the throttle housing. Install the new throttle cable into the throttle housing.
Thread the throttle cable adjuster all the way in. Install the cable guide so the cable fits in the groove of the guide.
Slide the throttle sleeve onto the handlebar and connect the cable end. Assemble the upper and lower throttle
housings while positioning the throttle sleeve stop above the housing stop. Allow an 1/8 inch clearance between
the grip and handlebar end. This will prevent the grip from binding on the end of the handlebar. Position the
throttle so that the throttle cable will exit above the front brake lever assembly. Insert the throttle housing screws
8. Throttle cable adjustment: ALL THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Adjust the
throttle cable so there is a slight amount of free play (1/16 to 1/8 inch). Tighten all adjuster nuts. Reinstall all cable
clamps and guides. Check that the throttle will snap back from the full open position in all handlebar steering
positions. Also, check that the cable has free play when the handlebars are turned side to side.
Note: Cable routing and throttle position affect the smoothness of throttle operation. Route the cable to
avoid sharp bends or kinks. Position the throttle so that it does not create sharp bends or kinks in the cable.
9. Install the fuel tank and seat. Start the engine to check throttle operation. Using throttle, raise engine speed
momentarily to 4000 RPM and release throttle. Engine speed should drop quickly to idle speed without hesitation.
Next, while turning the handlebars side to side, there should be no change in engine speed. Repeat, Step 8 if
throttle is not operating as described above.
10. It is suggested that you familiarize yourself with the operation of the twist grip throttle. Run the machine at
different speeds until you are completely familiar with how the throttle operates. If you have experience riding
motorcycles the twist throttle will be quite natural. If you have only used the thumb type throttle you should
practice until operation of throttle is done without second thought.
Throttle Kit Instructions, Instructions All Article Tags