CR Pro Throttle Kit 01-0053/01-1153/GripsBuy Now
CR Pro Throttle Kit, 01-2661
posted Dec 4, 2012
Tags: Instructions All Article Tags
THROTTLE KIT INSTRUCTIONS
IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE INSTALLING
WE RECOMMEND THAT THIS KIT BE INSTALLED BY A QUALIFIED MECHANIC IN A PROPERLY EQUIPPED SHOP.
THROTTLE KIT # 01-2661, 01-2704, 01-2705 FOR ARCTIC CAT ATV 2008-2012.
THIS KIT IS DESIGNED TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL THUMB THROTTLE WITH A TWIST GRIP TYPE THROTTLE.
1. Temporarily remove any clamps or guides used to retain the throttle cable. Remove the throttle case cap and disconnect the stock throttle cable. Remove the thumb throttle lever screw, thumb throttle lever, spring and washer. (Note: The thumb throttle / 4X4 switch assembly is retained. Only the thumb throttle lever components will be removed). The throttle cable lever screw that holds the throttle cable lever has an application of blue thread lock on it. Apply heat to the blue thread lock on the screw as needed to loosen the thread lock compound and then remove the throttle cable lever screw. (Note: Attempting to remove the screw without first applying heat to loosen the thread lock may result in stripping of the screw head). Slide the throttle lever out the bottom of the thumb throttle / 4X4 switch assembly and replace the throttle case cap, gasket and tighten screws.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN HEATING AND WORKING WITH HOT PARTS. IMPROPER PROCEDURES FOR HEATING AND HANDLING HOT PARTS WILL RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY. WE RECOMMEND YOU TAKE THE THUMB THROTTLE ASSEMBLY TO A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN FOR REMOVAL OF THE THUMB THROTTLE LEVER SCREW.
2. Remove the right hand grip from the handlebar. Using a hex wrench, disassemble the new twist throttle assembly. Using the throttle sleeve as a guide, mark the handlebar where the throttle sleeve will fit. With fine sandpaper remove any paint on the handlebar where the throttle sleeve will fit.
IMPORTANT: THE HANDLEBAR MUST BE CLEAN AND SMOOTH. IF THE HANDLEBAR IS NOT CLEAN AND SMOOTH IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE THROTTLE TO STICK.
3. Remove the original throttle cable from the carburetor or throttle body as specified in your Arctic Cat service manual and install your new Motion Pro throttle cable supplied with your throttle kit. Cable routing should be the same as the original throttle cable.
4. Remove the plastic cable guide from the throttle housing. Install the new throttle cable into the throttle housing. Thread the throttle cable adjuster all the way in. Install the cable guide so the cable fits in the groove of the guide. Slide the throttle sleeve onto the handlebar and connect the cable end. Assemble the upper and lower throttle housings while positioning the throttle sleeve stop above the housing stop. Allow a 1/8 inch clearance between the grip and handlebar end. This will prevent the grip from binding on the end of the handlebar. If possible, position the throttle so that the throttle cable will exit without interfering with the thumb throttle/ 4X4 switch assembly. Insert the throttle housing screws and tighten.
5. Throttle cable adjustment:
IMPORTANT: ALL THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF.
Adjust the throttle cable so there is a slight amount of free play (1/16 to 1/8 inch) and tighten adjuster lock nuts. Reinstall all cable clamps and guides. With the engine off, check that the throttle freely twists into the full open position and snaps back to a closed position in all handlebar steering positions. Also, check that the cable still has some free play when the handlebars are turned fully side to side. Note: Cable routing and throttle position affect the smoothness of throttle operation. Route the cable to avoid sharp bends or kinks. Position the throttle so that it does not create sharp bends or kinks in the cable.
6. Start the engine to check throttle operation. Using throttle, raise engine speed momentarily to 4000 RPM and release throttle. Engine speed should drop quickly to idle speed without hesitation. Next, with the engine running turn the handlebars side to side, there should be no change in engine speed. Repeat Step 5 if throttle is not operating as described above.
IMPORTANT: IT IS SUGGESTED THAT YOU FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THE OPERATION OF THE TWIST GRIP THROTTLE. RUN THE MACHINE AT DIFFERENT SPEEDS UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY FAMILIAR WITH HOW THE THROTTLE OPERATES. IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE RIDING MOTORCYCLES THE TWIST THROTTLE WILL BE QUITE NATURAL. IF YOU HAVE ONLY USED THE THUMB TYPE THROTTLE YOU SHOULD PRACTICE UNTIL OPERATION OF THROTTLE IS DONE WITHOUT SECOND THOUGHT. I01-2661