Fork Spring Tool for HDBuy Now
Harley-Davidson Fork Spring Tool, 08-0144posted Jan 30, 2013
Tags: Instructions All Article Tags
This tool is designed to disassemble and assemble 1988 and later Harley Davidson spring forks. It will safely facilitate the removal and installation of both the rebound and compression fork springs.
The fork springs are compressed. Suddenly releasing the fork
springs can result in personal injury.
1. Securely support the motorcycle on a stand with the front wheel off the ground.
2. Remove the front wheel, fender, brake caliper, headlight and shock absorber.
3. Remove the long hex nut and washer from the tool. Slide the threaded shaft of the tool up through the hole in the top of the headlight mount.
4. Install the block of the tool into the lower shock absorber mount using the shock mounting bolt, washers and nut.
5. Install the washer and long hex nut onto the top of the tool rod. Use some high quality grease on the threads of the rod and the long hex nut to avoid galling the threads.
If the spring fork legs are not secured to the rigid fork legs, they will snap forward during compression of the fork springs, which can cause personal injury. To avoid the spring fork from snapping forward, secure it to the rigid fork with nylon tie straps.
6. Tighten the long hex nut compressing the lower fork springs until the lower rubber travel bumpers bottom.
7. While the lower fork springs are compressed remove the top fork spring acorn nuts, washers, spring bridge, upper spring restraint, springs and spring cups. With the nylon securing straps in place, remove the front rocker pivot studs.
8. Gradually unscrew the long hex nut of the tool to release the tension on the lower fork springs. Remove the tool and complete the fork disassembly.
Assemble the spring fork in reverse order. Use the tool to compress lower fork springs while assembling the upper fork springs. Tighten all nuts and bolts to the manufacturer’s torque specifications.