Multi Valve Tool, 08-0165 and 08-0166posted Jan 30, 2013
Tags: Instructions All Article Tags
The Motion Pro Multi-Valve Tool is a hand tool designed to compress valve springs and install keepers on cylinder heads. Because only hand pressure is required on the Multi-Valve Tool, the time required to reassemble a cylinder head is greatly reduced. A C-type valve spring compressor is no longer required to compress the valve springs and install the keepers. The 08-0165 is used for valve stems up to 5mm, the 08-0166 for 5.5 and larger.
WARNING! Always wear safety glasses when using the Motion Pro Multi-Valve Tool.
To use the Motion Pro Multi-Valve Tool, do the following:
1. Install the valve into the cylinder head. Then place some stiff foam or a shop rag into the combustion chamber and seat it directly against the valve head. Then position the cylinder head with its combustion chamber facing down.
NOTE: The objects used in Step 1 hold the valve firmly in its seat when compressing the springs and installing the keepers in Step 4. You may also hold the valve in the seat with your hand by moving the combustion chamber you are working on off the end of the bench while using the Multi-Valve Tool to re-install the keepers.
2. Install the necessary shims, valve springs and collars as described in the service manual for the engine on which you are working.
3. Place the keepers loosely in the collar.
4. Slip the protruding tip of the Multi-Valve Tool over the valve stem. With a firm downward push, depress the tool to compress the valve spring and allow the keepers to seat in the collar. Then pull the Multi-Valve Tool back to release tension from the valve spring and remove it from the valve stem.
5. Tap the end of the valve stem with a soft mallet to seat the keepers correctly against the valve stem and collar.
Note: Take the proper precautions to keep the valve in its seat. This will prevent bending the valve (Refer to step 1. above).