Throttle Kit - TORS Eliminator 01-0813/01-023/01-0013Buy Now
THROTTLE KIT P/N 01-0351 (YFZ 350 BANSHEE)posted Aug 31, 2009
Tags: Throttle Kit Instructions All Article Tags
IMPORTANT - READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE INSTALLING
THIS KIT IS TO BE INSTALLED BY A TRAINED TECHNICIAN IN A PROPERLY EQUIPPED SHOP
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR USE WITH A T.O.R.S ELIMINATION KIT AND ARE DESIGNED TO ELIMINATE THE STOCK T.O.R.S. SYSTEM AND RETAIN THE STOCK THUMB THROTTLE.
1. Remove the seat and fuel tank. Carefully observe how the stock throttle cable is routed from the thumb throttle to the carburetors. This is how you will want to route the new cable.
2. Temporarily remove any clamps or guides used to retain the throttle cable. Remove the thumb throttle cover. Disconnect the top portion of the throttle cable assembly from the thumb throttle.
3. Before removing the carburetor top/switch assemblies, clean the outside of the carburetors and switch assemblies thoroughly. On the outside of the carburetors you will find gold colored carburetor top locking plates. Remove these plates and unscrew the carburetor tops. Remove the carburetor top/switch assemblies. Do not allow any dirt or foreign material to enter the openings left in the carburetors. Placing clean rags in the openings of the carburetors will help avoid this problem. ANY DIRT OR FOREIGN MATERIAL THAT ENTERS THE CARBURETORS CAN CAUSE THE THROTTLE SLIDES TO STICK.
4. Pull the spring away from the slide and remove the retaining plate. Remove the slide and spring from the carburetor top/switch assembly. Install the adjuster, carburetor cap, spring and slide onto the new cable. Make sure the needle is in the correct position and reinstall the retaining plate. Repeat this operation for the other carburetor. NOTE: When you remove the carburetor top/switch assemblies, you also remove the idle adjustment. To have an idle adjustment, Motion Pro kit # 08-0045 must be installed. This kit is available separately. DO NOT use throttle cable freeplay to adjust the idle. Minimum freeplay must be maintained at all handlebar positions.
5. Remove the rags in the carburetor openings. Again, be careful that dirt or foreign material does not enter the carburetors. Install the throttle slides into the carburetors. Make sure the guide pin slides into the groove on the slide (slide cutaway to rear). Note: The throttle slide cutaway will be towards the front if the throttle slides are switched between the carburetors. Tighten the carburetor cap. Pull on the top cable end to make sure the full travel (up and down) of the slides is smooth, without binding.
6. Next, install the throttle cable into the thumb throttle housing. Connect the cable end to the thumb throttle lever. Reinstall thumb throttle cover and tightened screws.
7. Throttle cable adjustment: ALL THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Start by synchronizing the carburetors. With the air cleaner box off, you can feel the backsides of the throttle slides with your fingers. When you move the thumb throttle lever with your right thumb you can feel the throttle slides move with your left fingers. Adjust the carburetor top adjusters, so that both slides (from the fully closed position) begin to move simultaneously when the throttle is opened. As a double check, open the throttle so that the backs of the slides are even with the top of the throttle bore. Set the highest slide even and bring the other slide up to match. Reinstall the air cleaner box. Adjust the top throttle cable adjuster so there is a slight amount of free play (1/16 to 1/8 inch). Tighten all adjuster nuts. Reinstall all cable clamps and guides. Check that the throttle will snap back from the full open position in all handlebar steering positions. Also, check that the cable has free play when the handlebars are turned side to side. Note: Cable routing and throttle position affect the smoothness of throttle operation. Route the cable to avoid sharp bends or kinks. Position the throttle so that it does not create sharp bends or kinks in the cable.
8. Electrical connections: This machine is equipped with a THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM. The purpose of this system is to turn off the ignition if the carburetor slide sticks in the throttle body. When the carburetor top/switch assembly is removed, this system is disabled. The ignition system will also be disabled. For the ignition system to operate, the control box located inside the front left fender must be removed. Cover all exposed wires with electrical tape. THE THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM WILL BE DISABLED.
9. Install the fuel tank and seat. Start the engine to check throttle operation. Using thumb throttle, raise engine speed momentarily to 4000 RPM and release throttle. Engine speed should drop quickly to idle speed without hesitation. Next, while turning the handlebars side to side, there should be no change in engine speed. Repeat step 7 if throttle is not operating as described above.