CR Pro Throttle Kit 01-0053/01-0869Buy Now
THROTTLE KIT P/N 01-0365 (YFZ 350 BANSHEE)posted Aug 31, 2009
Tags: Throttle Kit Instructions All Article Tags
IMPORTANT - READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE INSTALLING
THIS KIT IS TO BE INSTALLED BY A TRAINED TECHNICIAN IN A PROPERLY EQUIPPED SHOP
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR USE WITH THE THROTTLE KIT LISTED ABOVE. THIS KIT IS DESIGNED TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL THUMB THROTTLE WITH A TWIST GRIP TYPE THROTTLE .
1. Remove the seat and fuel tank. Carefully observe how the stock throttle cable is routed from the thumb throttle to the carburetors. This is how you will want to route the new cable.
2. Temporarily remove any clamps or guides used to retain the throttle cable. Remove the stock thumb throttle assembly.
3. Before removing the carburetor top/switch assemblies, clean the outside of the carburetors and switch assemblies thoroughly. On the outside of the carburetors you will find a gold colored carburetor top locking plate. Remove these plates and unscrew the carburetor tops. Remove the carburetor top/switch assemblies. Do not allow any dirt or foreign material to enter the openings left in the carburetors. Placing clean rags in the openings of the carburetors will help avoid this problem. ANY DIRT OR FOREIGN MATERIAL THAT ENTERS THE CARBURETORS CAN CAUSE THE THROTTLE SLIDES TO STICK.
4. Remove the right hand side plate (5 screws) from each switch assembly. Again, be careful that dirt or foreign material does not enter the switch assemblies. Remove the old cable and replace with the new cable supplied in the kit. Re-install the side plates making sure the gaskets are in the correct position and tighten the screws.
5. Remove the rags in the carburetor openings. Again, be careful that dirt or foreign material does not enter the carburetors. Install the carburetor top/switch assemblies onto the carburetors. When installing the throttle slides into the carburetors, make sure the guide pins slide into the grooves on the slides (slide cutaway to rear). Note: The throttle slide cutaway will be towards the front if the throttle slides are switched between the carburetors. Tighten the carburetor tops and reinstall the locking plates. Pull on the top cable end to make sure the full travel (up and down) of the slides is smooth, without binding.
6. Remove the right hand grip from the handlebar. With the Allen wrench supplied, disassemble the new throttle assembly. Using the throttle sleeve as a guide, mark the handlebar showing where the sleeve will fit. With fine sandpaper remove any paint on the handlebar where the throttle sleeve will fit. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE HANDLEBAR BE CLEAN AND SMOOTH. IF THE HANDLEBAR IS NOT CLEAN AND SMOOTH IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE THROTTLE TO STICK.
7. Remove the plastic cable guide from the throttle housing. Install the new throttle cable into the throttle housing. Thread the throttle cable adjuster all the way in. Install the cable guide so the cable fits in the groove of the guide. Slide the throttle sleeve onto the handlebar and connect the cable end. Assemble the upper and lower throttle housings while positioning the throttle sleeve stop above the housing stop. Allow an 1/8 inch clearance between the grip and handlebar end. This will prevent the grip from binding on the end of the handlebar. Position the throttle so that the throttle cable will exit above the front brake lever assembly. Insert the throttle housing screws and tighten.
8. Throttle cable adjustment: ALL THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Start by synchronizing the carburetors. With the air cleaner box off, you can feel the backsides of the throttle slides with your fingers. When you twist the throttle with your right hand you can feel the throttle slides move with your left fingers. Adjust the carburetor top adjusters, so that both slides (from the fully closed position) begin to move simultaneously when the throttle is opened. As a double check, open the throttle so that the backs of the slides are even with the top of the throttle bore. Set the highest slide even and bring the other slide up to match. Reinstall the air cleaner box. Adjust the top throttle cable adjuster so there is a slight amount of free play (1/16 to 1/8 inch). Tighten all adjuster nuts. Reinstall all cable clamps and guides. Check that the throttle will snap back from the full open position in all handlebar steering positions. Also, check that the cable has free play when the handlebars are turned side to side. Note: Cable routing and throttle position affect the smoothness of throttle operation. Route the cable to avoid sharp bends or kinks. Position the throttle so that it does not create sharp bends or kinks in the cable.
9. Electrical connections: This machine is equipped with a THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM. The purpose of this system is to turn off the ignition if the carburetor slide sticks in the throttle body. When the stock thumb throttle assembly is removed, this system will be disabled. The ignition system will also be disabled, no spark. For the ignition system to operate, the control box located inside the front left fender must be removed. Also, the wires from the carburetor top/switch assembly must be unplugged from the main harness. Cover all exposed wires with electrical tape. THE THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM WILL BE DISABLED.
10. Install the fuel tank and seat. Start the engine to check throttle operation. Using throttle, raise engine speed momentarily to 4000 RPM and release throttle. Engine speed should drop quickly to idle speed without hesitation. Next, while turning the handlebars side to side, there should be no change in engine speed. Repeat step 8 if throttle is not operating as described above.
11. It is suggested that you familiarize yourself with the operation of the twist grip throttle. Run the machine at different speeds until you are completely familiar with how the throttle operates. If you have experience riding motorcycles the twist throttle will be quite natural. If you have only used the thumb type throttle you should practice until operation of throttle is done without second thought.