Straight Push/Pull Throttle Kit, 01-0378 & 01-0379 & 01-0380 (DUCATI 750SS/900SP/SS/M900)
IMPORTANT - READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE INSTALLING
THIS KIT IS TO BE INSTALLED BY A TRAINED TECHNICIAN IN A PROPERLY EQUIPPED SHOP
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR USE WITH THE THROTTLE KITS LISTED ABOVE. THESE KITS ARE DESIGNED TO BE USED WITH KEIHIN FCR CARBURETORS.
1. Remove the seat and fuel tank. Carefully observe how the stock throttle cables are routed from the throttle to the carburetors. This is how you will want to route the new cables.
2. Temporarily remove any clamps or guides used to retain the throttle cables. Remove the existing throttle cables and throttle assembly.
3. Install the Keihin FCR carburetors. Refer to the carburetor supplier’s instruction sheet for carburetor installation.
4. Install the throttle cables onto the throttle cable bracket located on the carburetors. Screw the throttle cable adjusters all the way down onto the cable bracket. Install the cable ends into the carburetor bell crank. Route the cables to the area where the throttle assembly will be mounted.
5. This kit is supplied with a #01-0073 throttle (Yamaha-Type). With this type of throttle, there is a locating pin cast inside the mating surface of the throttle. This pin prevents the throttle from rotating on the handlebar. Position the throttle assembly on the handlebar allowing an 1/8 inch clearance between the grip and handlebar end. This will prevent the grip from binding on the end of the handlebar. Mark the handlebar with a center punch where the locating pin hole is to be drilled. At the center punch mark drill a 5/32 hole about 1/8 inch deep. De-burr the edges of the hole and remove all metal chips from the handlebar. Clean the area of the handlebar where the throttle is to be mounted. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE HANDLEBAR BE CLEAN AND SMOOTH. IF THE HANDLEBAR IS NOT CLEAN AND SMOOTH IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE THROTTLE TO STICK. Slide the throttle sleeve onto the handlebar and connect the cable ends to the sleeve. Assemble both upper and lower throttle housings while positioning the throttle sleeve stop above the housing stop. Insert the throttle housing screws and tighten.
6. Throttle cable adjustment: ALL THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Adjust the pull cable so there is a slight amount of free play (1/16 to 1/8 inch). Adjust the push cable adjuster to the point where the throttle does not snap back, then loosen the adjuster two turns. Tighten all adjuster lock nuts. Reinstall all cable clamps and guides. Check that the throttle will snap back from the full open position in all handle bar steering positions. Also, check that the cables have free play when the handlebars are turned side to side. Note: Cable routing and throttle position affect the smoothness of throttle operation. Route cables to avoid sharp bends or kinks. Position the throttle so that it does not create sharp bends or kinks in cables.
7. Install the fuel tank and seat. Start the engine to check throttle operation. Using throttle, raise engine speed momentarily to 4000 RPM and release throttle. Engine speed should drop quickly to idle speed without hesitation. Next, while turning the handlebars side to side, there should be no change in engine speed. Repeat Step 6 if throttle is not operating as described above.