Turbo Throttle Kit, 01-0339
IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE INSTALLING
THIS KIT IS TO BE INSTALLED BY A TRAINED TECHNICIAN IN A PROPERLY EQUIPPED SHOP
FOR THROTTLE KIT P/N 01-0339 (YFS 200 BLASTER)
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR USE WITH THE THROTTLE KIT LISTED ABOVE. THIS KIT IS DESIGNED
TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL THUMB THROTTLE WITH A TWIST GRIP TYPE THROTTLE.
1. Remove the seat and fuel tank. Carefully observe how the stock throttle cable is routed from the thumb throttle
to the carburetor. This is how you will want to route the new cable.
2. Temporarily remove any clamps or guides used to retain the throttle cable. Remove the stock thumb throttle
3. Before removing the carburetor top/switch assembly, clean the outside of the carburetor and switch assembly
thoroughly. On the outside of the carburetor you will find a gold colored carburetor top locking plate. Remove this
plate and unscrew the carburetor top. Remove the carburetor top/switch assembly. Do not allow any dirt or foreign
material to enter the opening left in carburetor. Placing a clean rag in the opening of the carburetor will help avoid
this problem. ANY DIRT OR FOREIGN MATERIAL THAT ENTERS THE CARBURETOR CAN CAUSE THE THROTTLE SLIDE TO
4. Remove the right hand side plate (5 screws) from the switch assembly. Again, be careful that dirt or foreign
material does not enter the switch assembly. Remove the old cable and replace with the new cable supplied in the
kit. Re-install the side plate making sure the gasket is in the correct position and tighten the screws.
5. Remove the rag in the carburetor opening. Again, be careful that dirt or foreign material does not enter the
carburetor. Install the carburetor top/switch assembly onto the carburetor. When installing the throttle slide into the
carburetor, make sure the guide pin slides into the groove on the slide (slide cutaway to rear). Tighten the
carburetor top and reinstall the locking plate. Pull on the top cable end to make sure the full travel (up and down) of
the slide is smooth, without bin ding.
6. Remove the right hand grip from the handlebar. With an Allen wrench, disassemble the new throttle assembly.
Using the throttle sleeve as a guide, mark the handlebar showing where the sleeve will fit. With fine sandpaper
remove any paint on the handlebar where the throttle sleeve will fit. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE HANDLEBAR BE
CLEAN AND SMOOTH. IF THE HANDLEBAR IS NOT CLEAN AND SMOOTH IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE THROTTLE
7. Slide the throttle sleeve onto the handlebar. Assemble the upper and lower throttle housings while positioning
the throttle sleeve stop above the housing stop. Allow an 1/8 inch clearance between the grip and handlebar end.
This will prevent the grip from binding on the end of the handlebar. Position the throttle so that the throttle cable
will exit above the front brake lever assembly. Insert the throttle housing screws and tighten. Install the throttle
cable adjuster and lock nut onto the cable. Insert the cable end into the threaded adjuster hole in the upper throttle
housing. Screw the throttle cable adjuster into the throttle housing and connect the cable end to the throttle sleeve.
Install the guide wheel so the cable fits in the groove of the wheel. Install the housing cover, insert the screw and
8. Throttle cable adjustment: ALL THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Adjust the throttle
cable so there is a slight amount of free play (1/16 to 1/8 inch). Tighten all adjuster nuts. Reinstall all cable clamps
and guides. Check that the throttle will snap back from the full open position in all handlebar steering positions.
Also, check that the cable has free play when the handlebars are turned side to side. Note: Cable routing and
throttle position affect the smoothness of throttle operation. Route the cable to avoid sharp bends or kinks. Position
the throttle so that it does not create sharp bends or kinks in the cable.
9. Electrical Connections: This machine is equipped with a THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM. The purpose of this
system is to turn off the ignition if the carburetor slide sticks open in the throttle body. When the stock thumb
throttle and carburetor top/switch assembly are removed, this system is disabled. When working on 1988-2001
models, the ignition system will also be disabled. The control box, located inside the front left fender, must be
removed for the ignition system to work. When working on 2002 and later models it is not necessary to remove the
control box, just unplug the lower electrical connector from the stock thumb throttle and loop together the two pin
connecter where the stock thumb throttle attaches on the main wire harness or where the thumb throttle plugs into
the CDI box. Either way, you are connecting the plug back in where it was disconnected from (One way to loop the
connections is to use the last three inches of the thumb throttle lower connection attach the two wires together and
plug back into the main harness). Cover all exposed wires and connector's with electrical tape. Or, use Motion Pro
Switch Elimination Coupler Assembly part number 11-0040 and snap coupler directly into existing 2 pin connector
where the thumb throttle was plugged into the main harness. THE THROTTLE OVERRIDE SYSTEM IS NOW
10. Install the fuel tank and seat. Start the engine to check throttle operation. Using throttle, raise engine speed
momentarily to 4000 RPM and release throttle. Engine speed should drop quickly to idle speed without hesitation.
Next, while turning the handlebars side to side, there should be no change in engine speed. Repeat, Step 8 if
throttle is not operating as described above.
11. It is suggested that you familiarize yourself with the operation of the twist grip throttle. Run the machine at
different speeds until you are completely familiar with how the throttle operates. If you have experience riding
motorcycles the twist throttle will be quite natural. If you have only used the thumb type throttle you should practice
until operation of throttle is done without second a thought.